A Composition of Monk Euthymios, the Chancellor
Translated by Archimandrite Ephraim
(Lash)
INTRODUCTORY NOTE
This little known Canon in preparation for Confession is to
be found in the Greek Great Euchologion. As the concluding prayer makes
clear, the Confession is in preparation for Holy Communion. The prayer might
well be used as a prayer of absolution when penitents come for Confession
before the Liturgy.
CANON OF SUPPLICATION TO THE
MOST HOLY MOTHER OF GOD AT THE
CONFESSION OF A SINNER
Ode 1. Tone 6. Crossing the sea.
How may I lament my sordid life, Sovereign Lady, and the
multitudes of my numberless evil deeds? What may I say to you, Pure Virgin? I
am at a loss and I quail. But help me.
Most
Holy Theotokos, save us.
From where shall I, wretch that I am, begin to tell my
wicked deeds and my dreadful offences? Also what will then become of me? But,
Sovereign Lady, before the end take pity on me also.
Most
Holy Theotokos, save us.
I have trodden every road of sins, O Immaculate, and have in
no way found the path of salvation. But I run to you, loving Lady: Do not
despise me as I repent from my soul.
Glory
to the Father.
I think continually on the hour of death, O All-pure, and
the fearful tribunal, but by habit I am terribly a prey of evils. But help me.
Both
now and ever.
The corruptor of what is good now seeing me naked,
leaderless and far from God of godly virtues, is eager to swallow me down.
Sovereign Lady, rescue me.
Ode 3. None is holy as you.
I have shamefully befouled my soul, Sovereign Lady, Mother
of God, through numberless offences, wretch that I am. And, wholly in the grip
of despair, as I am, where may I now go?
Most
Holy Theotokos, save us.
Alas, I have defaced that which is according to God’s image
by my proud disposition, wretch that I am! And where now may I go? But hasten,
O Virgin help me.
Glory
to the Father.
There is altogether none born in this life among mortals who
has done the lawless deeds of dire licentiousness as I, loving Lady; for I have
befouled divine Baptism.
Both
now and ever.
I have reached the limit of evils, All-holy Virgin; but
speedily help me; for heaven and earth bitterly cry out against my numberless
outrageous acts.
Ode 4. Christ my power.
Ranks of Angels and the armies of heaven, the Powers of your
Son tremble at your might, Pure Lady; while I, though despaired of, am in the
grip of foolhardiness.
Most
Holy Theotokos, save us.
The whole earth is amazed and trembles as it watches one who
dreadfully and wickedly does outrageous deeds.
Glory
to the Father.
I have wickedly befouled the temple of the body, and the
Temple of Lord, which mortals enter trembling, I the prodigal, alas, enter
without shame.
Both
now and ever.
Do not make me, Sovereign Lady, do not make me a stranger,
who have been estranged from the shelter of your Son and am utterly unworthy.
But wash me clean also from the stain of my offences.
Ode 5. By your divine light, O Good
One.
Adam transgressed one commandment of your Son, O Virgin, and
suffered exile. But how may I lament the abyss of my offences, I, rebel and
transgressor against God?
Most
Holy Theotokos, save us.
Cain was revealed of old as a destroyer and murderer of his
brother before he had been cursed by God. But what then shall I do who have
dared all? For I have slain my soul, and now I am not ashamed.
Glory
to the Father.
I have rivalled dread Esau, I have defiled soul and body by
gluttony and pleasure, befouling my life with drunkenness and lechery. Who
would not weep at me, wretch that I am.
Both
now and ever.
By your divine light, O Good One, heal the passions of the
soul, which the Corrupter has sown in me. Deliver me from his bitter captivity.
For he laughs as he sees me leaderless.
Ode 6. Watching life’s sea.
My life is dissolute, my soul filthy and my life utterly
wretched, while I have defiled my whole body by wicked deeds. Therefore hasten,
O Virgin and help me.
Most
Holy Theotokos, save us.
The end is upon me and I cannot endure, loving Lady. My
conscience reproves me, for it sets before me my wicked deeds and the disorder
of my life; and I quake with fear at the tribunal of your Son, pure Virgin.
Glory
to the Father.
Truly, O all-pure, the fearful and unquenchable river of
fire and the unsleeping worm await the burning fever of my flesh. But deliver
me from them by your prayers.
Both
now and ever.
I am in the grip of terror and I quail before the assaults
of the foe, loving Lady; for before the end the Corruptor grinds his teeth at
me, seizing me as a prisoner stripped bare of virtues.
Ode 7. An Angel made the furnace.
The Crafty One has heated the flame of my passions sevenfold
and with adulteries of the heart has slain me utterly. But with the streams of
my tears water me, Mother of God, and do not reject me.
Most
Holy Theotokos, save us.
Sovereign Lady, do not let me be drowned in the mire of my
offences; for the most evil foe, seeing me in despair, loving Lady, laughs at
me. But with your mighty hand raise me up again.
Most
Holy Theotokos, save us.
My wretched and unfeeling soul, fearful is the judgement and
terrifying and unending the punishment; but nonetheless fall down now before
the Mother of your Judge and God, and why did you despair of yourself?
Glory
to the Father.
All my hope, Sovereign Lady, I the prodigal have placed in
you. Do not turn your face away from me; do not shut your compassionate heart
against me, Mother of God, but help me.
Both
now and ever.
Wretch that I am, I have become dark by the multitude of my
numberless evils, and changed for the worse in the eye and the mind of my soul.
Bring me swiftly therefore with the beams of your light to the sweetness of
dispassion.
Ode 8. From the flame you made dew
well up.
Virgin Mother, who gave birth to God, one of the Trinity,
and carried him in your arms, quench the fiercely flaming furnace of the
passions and wash my soul with streams of tears.
Most
Holy Theotokos, save us.
I tremble at death’s coming, O all-pure, and do not wholly
fear that judgement; while I do not wholly cease from doing evils. Take pity
and save me by your prayers before the end.
Most
Holy Theotokos, save us.
Grant me never silent groans and a fount of tears, Sovereign
Lady, that I may wash away my many faults and incurable wounds, so that I may
reach eternal life.
Glory
to the Father.
I have declared to you the multitudes of my evils, for no
one else in the world has angered God, your Son and Lord, as I, Sovereign Lady.
Reconcile me to him speedily by your prayers.
Both
now and ever.
Master, compassionate by nature, do not stand me with the
condemned at the hour of judgement, but at the prayers of your Mother, have
mercy and place me with the sheep at your right hand.
Ode 9. It is impossible for humans
to see God.
See, I approach you, O all-pure, with great fear and love,
for I, your servant, know the strength of your fervent prayer. For the
supplication of a Mother, O all-blessed, has great strength with her Son. For
he is moved by compassion.
Most
Holy Theotokos, save us.
Take with you the Choirs of Archangels and the multitude of
the hosts on high, the Forerunner, the companies of Apostles, the Prophets,
Martyrs and Ascetics, and Martyr Bishops, and make intercession for me, pure
Virgin, to God.
Most
Holy Theotokos, save us.
May I find your help, pure Virgin, both now and at the
moment when my spirit departs. Speedily rescue me from the demons and deliver
me from their tyranny, O all-immaculate, and do not let me, loving Lady, be
handed over to them.
Glory
to the Father.
I await a compassionate Judge who loves mankind, your Son,
pure Virgin. Do not disdain me, but make him merciful to me, to stand me then
at the right hand of his most pure tribunal, O all-praised; for in you have I
hoped.
Both
now and ever.
Principalities, Archangels, Dominions and Seraphim, Powers,
Authorities and Angels, Thrones with the many-eyed Cherubim as they and we now
honour your Offspring, Virgin Mother, we all devoutly glorify you.
Then:
Then:
A reading from the Gospel according
to Mark:
The Lord said: Have faith in God, for Amen I say to you, if
anyone tells this mountain, ‘Be taken up and thrown into the sea’, and does not
doubt in their heart, but believes that it will happen, it will be done for
them. So I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you are
receiving it, and it will be yours. Whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you
have anything against anyone; so that your Father in heaven may also forgive
you your offences. But if you do not forgive, neither will your Father in
heaven forgive you your offences.
Then:
Lord, have mercy (12x)
Through the prayers of our Holy Fathers, Lord Jesus Christ
our God, have mercy on us and save us. Amen.
A Prayer of St. John of Damascus
O Master, Lord Jesus Christ our God, who alone have
authority to forgive sins, as you are good and love humankind, overlook all the
offences of me, your servant N., both in knowledge and in ignorance, voluntary
and involuntary, in deed and word and by thought, and count me worthy to
partake of your divine, holy, immaculate and immortal Mysteries; not for
burdensome misery and punishment and increase of sins, but for sanctification,
illumination, purification, support, a pledge of eternal life and your heavenly
Kingdom; for a wall and help and a warding off of every foe, for the wiping
away his/her offences and for the glory of your might. By the prayers of our
most holy Lady, Mother of God, of the honored, heavenly, spiritual, immaterial,
bodiless Powers and of all the Saints, who have been well-pleasing to you from
every age.
Through the prayers of our Holy Fathers, Lord Jesus Christ
our God, have mercy on us and save us. Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.